Statistics Concerning Divorce
The CDC reports statistics concerning divorce and marriage that many find interesting:
- 20% of marriages will end in divorce within 5 years
- 35% of marriages end in divorce within 10 years
- 43% of marriages end in divorce within 15 years
- 50% of marriages end in divorce within 20 years
The top 10 states for divorce by volume are:
- New York
- North Carolina
- Virginia Washington
Other interesting statistics
- Someone gets divorced every 10 to 13 seconds.
- Those who marry between the ages of 20 to 24 have the highest rates of divorce.
- Nevada has the highest per capita divorce rate.
- The divorce rate for a third marriage is 73%.
- There is an inverse relationship between education level and divorce rate.
- Christian couples have the same divorce rate as the national average.
Other statistics show that the average cost of a divorce is $50,000. Like any set of numbers, very expensive divorces can bring this average up and skew the numbers. This statistic is also a nationwide statistic and different jurisdictions may see wide fluctuations in this number. For example, I would estimate that the average cost of a divorce for a middle-class family in New Jersey is about $15,000 for each side. Of course, some cases don't exceed $5,000 while others exceed $50,000.
Call us anytime at: (855) 953-3529
Free initial consultation. All major credit cards accepted.